Friday, December 19, 2014

Half-Life 2 Review

Everybody's going to hate me for this, but here it is: Half-Life 2, the sequel everyone plays goes to because Half-Life 3 is taking forever to come out. This game is among LittleBigPlanet 2 as one of my favorite games of all time, and in this review I'm going to explain precisely why, while also stating some of my minor faults with the game. Also, let my me preface this by saying that even though this game was, indeed, first released on the PC, it was later released for The Orange Box on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, which means it technically follows under the rules of my blog. 

Half-Life 2 was a weird experience for me, because I had never played the first game before and at the time I first played it, I didn't really know much about the series as a whole. The good thing is that with having little to no experience with the Half-Life series, I was still able to get the basic gist of the story from the first 10 minutes, which is the sign of a good sequel. The game follows a scientist named Gordon Freeman who has to deal with aliens, the government, and all sorts of things. The story is kind of hard to describe, and it really isn't the shining point of the game, so that's why I'm being kind of vague about all of it. All you need to know is that this game is a first-person shooter, and that you are often fighting either Combine soldiers or freaky aliens. 

Gameplay is the strong point here. Of course, it's a first-person shooter, and if you've played any decent first-person shooter in your life, you could probably understand this game pretty quickly, but the way it's done here is way better than the likes of "Call of Duty Gritty Realism Into Darkness Deathly Mockingjay Hollows 7: Return of Jafar" or whatever. This game, like the first, has a great weapon known as the Gravity Gun. It picks stuff and puts it down, yo. In all seriousness, it does add some variety to the game and lead way to many really cool puzzles. The weapons you have each have advantages and disadvantages, and they're all laid out so you can switch between them really quickly and with ease. 

There's only one fault with the game, and it's any of the driving sections. Whether it's on land or on water, Gordon Freeman just cannot escape bad driving controls. The problem I have is mainly with the speedboat sections, because the steering (as in what direction you're driving, which is pretty important) goes from regular to inverted at complete random. WHY?!? Imagine how horrible it is to try and drive into cramped and narrow pathways with these controls, which, by the way, you have to do multiple times throughout the game. If I shift my left analog stick to the left, the boat should consistently go left, not switch to right randomly while I'm driving. 

Overall, great game. Probably not as great now as I used to think, but still great nonetheless.

Also no, I'm not reviewing Five Night's At Freddie's 2: Electric Bungaloo or whatever.


#getrektlol

No comments:

Post a Comment